Overview of Shelters
Owning a dog is a huge responsibility, and when you finally decide it is the right choice for you, it can be a daunting task to go out and adopt one. If you are in Edmonton, Canada, there are some good, reliable adoption places that are good ways to meet the perfect dog for you. You must adopt from a safe shelter because not all shelters have the same morals or values. Not all shelters treat their dogs the same.
It will be a lengthy task to find a dog that fits your lifestyle. Don’t be disappointed if you have to visit many adoption sites throughout Edmonton, and multiple times. They will have different dogs, different breeds, and you will have to make sure that the dog will suit you and will be happy in your home.
Best adoption sites near Edmonton Canada
There are three main animal shelters in Edmonton, Canada, all with different animals and different values. Each has a goal of finding the right homes for their animals, but they all want to make sure you can provide a stable and reliable “forever home.” This is exceptionally important for any good animal shelter.
- PAWS for Life Foundation- Located on William short road, it is in driving distance from most places in Edmonton and pretty easy to get to. This is a nonprofit animal rescue, and they tend to take in neglected and abused animals. PAWS wants to make sure you are in this for the long haul because the animals they tend to take need more attention and more work than other dogs may need. The people who work for the business will not only make the time to get to know you, but they will allow you as much time required for you to find your best friend.
- Infinite Woofs Animal Rescue- Despite the name of this company in Edmonton doesn’t only focus on cats and dogs. They focus on any animal that needs a home, if an animal is in need, no matter what breed or species Infinite Woofs will help rehabilitate them. They will put all of their efforts into rehabilitating the animals and finding them the perfect home for them. Infinite Woofs is located on 160 street NW. Across town from PAWS.
- Hope Lives Animal Rescue- The owner founded this business in 2012 because she had noticed in Alberta Canada, there was an overpopulation of dogs. They focus on dogs in need, and now they have spread their efforts into other territories as well. This company will not only take the time to get to know you and your specific needs, but they will also watch you interact with the dogs to make sure it is the perfect fit.
How to find a reliable adoption site
Finding the right adoption site requires a lot of research and effort on your end. Will you be okay with a kill shelter? Do they lock the animals up and never walk them? Will they overcharge you, only focused on the money end of it? Believe it or not, there are a lot of places that do end up using animals for profit and not to actually help them. This list gives the best tips to find a good adoption site near Alberta, Canada. You will want to make sure you know exactly what to look for in a shelter or adoption place.
- History- If they have a website and reviews, if you have heard of your friends and family talk about this site or agency, it is more than likely a legit business. If there is no website and they come to you, it could be a bad sign. A friend of mine from https://www.plumberinedmonton.com had an experience where they had contacted him off his craigslist ad and it turned out they were selling very badly bred English bulldogs so it’s important to be aware of these dangers.
- Take a look- If you ask to see their dogs and the deny you it is probably because they are putting them in dangerous areas and not taking proper care of them. Any reliable adoption site will allow you to not only see the dogs but also interact with them.
- Process- If the adoption process is too easy or not long enough, they are more focused on making a dollar than if the fit is right. Any legit business in it for the animals will explain that the adoption process takes a while because they want to make sure it is the best fit. Anything else would be a lie.
- Paying extra- If they tell you anything concerning the dog’s health will cost more to do it is a scam. All legit adoption agencies will neuter and spay as they get the animals. They will also complete any of the necessary procedures for the animal’s health before you ever even meet the dogs. If a company asks for more money to do one of these, it is a scam.
- Transparency- When a company is in it for the dogs, they tend to rescue the dogs from wrong places, and they are very open about where they get their dogs. If someone lies to you or isn’t upfront about where the animals came from, it is a sign of bad morals.
There are many more things to look for, but these are the main traits of a bad adoption site. It is incredibly important that a place is treating the dogs right, and giving you the correct amount of time to get to know the dogs. If this does not happen, it may be best to back away from that company.
Benefits of adopting from a shelter
There are many ways to adopt a dog, but adopting from a shelter has some apparent benefits. You will be clearing up space for other animals who need to be saved. The dog requires a good home, and you can provide that. Most of the time, adopting from a shelter is much cheaper for you. An animal shelter is focused on finding the right dog for you and finding the right home for the dog, they are not focused on money. This can save you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.
Owning a dog isn’t for everyone, and a lot of these shelters focus on all animals in need, not just one species. Adopting an animal from a shelter will save hundreds of lives. It is an incredible chain reaction; once set in place, it will continue to change lives. Finding the right shelter can seem like daunting work, but it doesn’t have to be. In Edmonton, Canada, there are beautiful shelters with the right attitudes, and they will help you make this an experience one that you will never forget.